Rescue dog groups, saving homeless dogs, always offer one big reason for spaying or neutering your dog: the appalling pet overpopulation problem that results in thousands of pets being euthanized every day.
• Some 70,000 puppies and kittens are born every day in the U.S.
• Between four million and six million pets are euthanized every year because they are homeless.
• That means between 11,000 and 16,000 pets are euthanized daily simply because they are homeless.
• An animal in a shelter is put to sleep every 1.5 seconds.
• Only one animal in 10 born in the U.S. gets a good home that lasts a lifetime.
These alarming statistics present a good enough reason, all by themselves, for preventing more pet animal births. Simply put, the widespread failure to spay or neuter dogs results in homelessness, misery, cruelty, and death.